[Tagging] Was public_transport=platform intended to always be combined with highway=bus_stop?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 07:38:21 UTC 2019

On 03/08/19 11:19, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Yes, the only thing that needs to be changed is the documentation, in
> my opinion. We don't need more tags, and it's not even necessary to
> officially "deprecate" anything.
>
> Right now some pages suggest that a bus stop needs to be tagged
> highway=bus_stop + public_transport=platform + bus=yes at the location
> passengers wait, and that you also need a
> public_transport=stop_position + bus=yes next to this point (on the
> highway), and a type=public_transport relation with *=stop_area, which
> includes the 2 features, and maybe they all need a name or ref? Oh,
> and you need to make a type=route relation which includes at least one
> of these features, or maybe all of them, in addition to highway ways?
>
> That's 3 features with at least 10 tags, to define a simple bus stop,
> before you even make the route relation.
>
> But really all we need is highway=bus_stop + name=* or ref=* - 2 tags,
> to define a bus stop. And the route relation needs either the stops or
> the highways added (you could add both, but this isn't really
> necessary), plus maybe a ref, duration and interval, if known.

The relation needs both stops and ways.

Not every stop along a route may be used by service.

The simplest way that a router finds between 2 stops may not be the service route.

The stops don't need a name or ref .. but they could be handy.

The route relation does not need an operator, a name etc... but the name would be appreciated, and other tags could be handy too.