[Tagging] Rethinking Map Features
andrewhainosm at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Aug 3 21:24:39 UTC 2019
Now the wiki has data items and scripting in Lua I have been wondering whether they are a useful alternative to Taginfo-driven lists.
Advantages of server scripts:
1. Descriptions can be generated from data items, tharefore they can be in a language where there is no long form documentation for the key. This resolves the issues that have limited use of taglists in languages other than English because descriptions can be rolled out quickly and some can be copied from the old map features templates.
2. Tables at the top of pages are visible immediately,
3. A successful connection to tagindo.openstreetmap.org is unnecessary.
Advantages of taglists driven by Taginfo:
1. The technology aleady exists and can be rolled out.
2. Separate scripts avoid overloading the server (Map Features in Polish, Ukrainian and Japanese hits wiki limits).
3. The web scripts are free-standing and can be hosted on another website outside the wiki,
(crossposted from https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Taginfo/Taglists#Server_scripts_as_alternative_taglists)
Talk:Taginfo/Taglists - OpenStreetMap Wiki<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Taginfo/Taglists#Server_scripts_as_alternative_taglists>
Languages. This is a very cool feature! One question: Could the template get the langugage automatically? I know this is done on some templates (e.g. Template:Tag).-- Jojo4u 17:20, 20 August 2015 (UTC) . I am not a template wizard.
From: Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
Sent: 02 August 2019 14:22
To: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Rethinking Map Features
I now think it is a good idea to switch to taglists for all of the Map
Feature page templates. It will make it much easier to keep the pages
consistent and to a reasonable length if all of the descriptions are
pulled from the wiki pages directly (just as is done for descriptions
used by Taginfo).
This just means that any deprecated or discouraged tags which are
currently "strikethrough" on Map Features will need something in the
description that mentions that they are discouraged. This is a good
idea anyway, so that the documentation is consistent.
On 7/7/19, Andrew Hain <andrewhainosm at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> I have been working on a scheme to improve the cross-language quality of Map
> Of course the page may deserve a bigger or deeper rethink.
> Talk:Map Features - OpenStreetMap
> amenity=school rendering colour. amenity=school is displayed in the page as
> a light-purple area for ways, whereas mapnik renders them as a pale yellow
Tagging mailing list
Tagging at openstreetmap.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Tagging