[Tagging] Road hierarchy

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Sun Aug 4 08:30:49 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 09:35:41AM +0300, Tomas Straupis wrote:
> Hello
>
>   Road hierarchy is needed for a number of things:
>   * deciding which classes of roads to display on different scales in a map
>   * performing road network validation
>   * other tasks (f.e. typification of buildings - orientation)
>
>   Hierarchy would be different in different context: motorcar, bicycle,
> pedestrian etc. For the time being I'm only asking about motorcars.
>
>   There is non written (or I could not find in wiki) or "de facto"
> hierarchy:
>   * motorway
>   * trunk
>   * primary
>   * secondary
>   * tertiary
>   * unclassified
>   * residential
>   * living_street
>   In some regions unclassified has a higher position in hierarchy, in other
> regions unclassified, residential and living_street have the same position.
> This is fine for the time being.
>   I'm also intentionally skipping _link classes.

For me unclassified is the same as residential. The difference is that
unclassified is for interconnecting residential areas, and residential
has residential traffic. So for me there cant be an unclassified within
city boundaries, and as soon as there is predominent residential it
cant be a unclassified.

So my guideline was:

Unclassified
	- Public road
	- Not classified
	- Outside of city Boundary
	- No predominant housing

Residential
	- Public road
	- Not classified
	- Housing

This has been a constant argument on different mailinglist for multiple
years. Defacto handle routing engines those two identical so retagging
a residential to unclassified does not make them "quicker" in terms
of routability.

So - YMMV - And its easy to start another argument here ;)

Flo