[Tagging] Charging stations: socket:<type>:output -- which format for the value?

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sun Aug 4 14:38:21 UTC 2019

On 31.07.19 09:34, Warin wrote:
> There is no present default unit for power - see
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features/Units#Default_units
> Adding a default would be good

Why would it be good to add a default value?

I believe explicit units are generally preferable because they avoid
ambiguity and misunderstandings. With other tags, values without an
explicit unit are already common in the database, so this usage needs to
be documented. But introducing a default for a tag that is generally
used with explicit units doesn't seem useful unless you *want* people to
start omitting the units and rely on the default.

> And the wiki could also state that a space is required between the
> numeric values and the units, if any.

The wiki mentions this as a general rule: "The following units can be
explicitly specified by adding them after the numeric value, separated
by a space". But I agree that this recommendation should also
be repeated on Key:* pages.

Tobias