[Tagging] Road hierarchy

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Mon Aug 5 05:06:08 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 04:21:14PM +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> I don’t think this is a valid conclusion:
>
> - we are not restricting our tagging to official denominations but
> give precedence to on the ground usage

Correct - But from my experience its either a service or it has
a name. At least in the part of Germany where i map.

There are of course the 1% of exceptions where Bayer or BASF names roads
on their facility property. But the typical parking aisle or
access to a fuel station should not carry a name.

And naming driveways as the roads they originate from is broken. The
driveway itself does not have a name.

For me this is also a matter of housekeeping the search index in
nominatim. If i search for Bahnhofstraße is typically dont want
to find 100's of Driveways named Bahnhofstraße.

> - the service class is further divided into many different classes
> like driveways, alleys, parking aisles, drive through ways, minor
> generic access roads, etc., some may have names, many will usually not
> carry a name.

Which of those do carry names typically? I cant see any? And its just
my mapper experience in the wider area i map that we typically dont have
names. And if they are named its a bug in 97% of the cases.

And in the QA i do i do not flag 100% issues - but objects you might
want to take a look at because they are fishy. And typically its not
just that one object but some blocks which have been mapped with strange
assumptions.

Flo