[Tagging] Road hierarchy

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 19:20:43 UTC 2019

>Different places, different practices. In the rural areas near here, a
great many private service ways have names, so that the houses on them will
have street >addresses for emergency services to find. Often the name is
something like 'Smith Road' because it goes into the Smith family farm.
It's just a highway=service >or highway=track access=private, but is named
and signed for navigation.

That same practice is fairly common in Alaska as well. Tiger often classes
these as residentials but like all Tiger data, it must be verified before
you can believe it LOL

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 11:11 AM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 1:07 AM Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:
>
>> Correct - But from my experience its either a service or it has
>> a name. At least in the part of Germany where i map.
>>
>> There are of course the 1% of exceptions where Bayer or BASF names roads
>> on their facility property. But the typical parking aisle or
>> access to a fuel station should not carry a name.
>>

> Different places, different practices. In the rural areas near here, a
> great many private service ways have names, so that the houses on them will
> have street addresses for emergency services to find. Often the name is
> something like 'Smith Road' because it goes into the Smith family farm.
> It's just a highway=service or highway=track access=private, but is named
> and signed for navigation.
>
> I agree that a parking aisle or urban driveway is unlikely to have a name.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand