[Tagging] Road hierarchy

Michael Tsang miklcct at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 02:17:07 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 07 August 2019 19:26:57 HKT Paul Allen wrote:

> Standard carto gives secondary, and higher, roads their own colours and
> renders
> tertiary roads wider than residential roads.  This allows people to use
> that most
> primitive of routeing algorithms called "looking at the map."  Your scheme
> would
> break this whenever such a road passes through a town.  In my part of the
> world
> there are many "ribbon" villages along primary and secondary roads.  Perhaps
> no more than a dozen houses, possibly only one one side of the road.  By
> your
> logic the road ceases to be a primary road and becomes a residential road.
> A long stretch of red/pink road with a bleached bit where the village is.

If the "primary purpose" of the road is through traffic, and the "driving
experience" is like on a major road (e.g. straight, fast, no obstruction, no
give way, etc.), that part of the road is still red / pink.

However, if that road is built like the other residential cul-de-sac with a
lot of slowing and calming features like give ways, curves, or very narrow
such that it become a choke point causing serious traffic congestion every day,
I will think it as residential.

Michael