[Tagging] Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, route=hiking, route=foot and Walking routes

s8evq s8evq at runbox.com
Tue Aug 13 08:50:16 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

On the discussion page of the wiki entry Hiking (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Hiking#Synchronize_wiki_page_Hiking.2C_Walking_Routes.2C_route.3Dhiking_and_route.3Dfoot_on_tagging_scheme.) I have started a topic, but with little response so far. That's why I come here, before proceeding.

Currently, there are four tagging scheme tables describing how walking (or hiking) routes should be tagged.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hiking
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walking_Routes
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dhiking
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dfoot

Would it not be easier and more clear if we just keep one, and add a link to it in the others?

Last month, I already started harmonizing these four tagging scheme tables. I changed the order, added some missing tags, adjusted the explanation etc... In my view, I only had to do minor edits. For those interested, here are my edits:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Hiking&type=revision&diff=1878387&oldid=1873054
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Walking_Routes&type=revision&diff=1881156&oldid=1879580
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Aroute%3Dhiking&type=revision&diff=1878383&oldid=1853636
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Aroute%3Dfoot&type=revision&diff=1878384&oldid=1853797

So these four tagging scheme tables are now almost 100% the same.

My idea was to keep the tagging scheme table on one of the wiki pages, and put a link to it on the three other pages. I would like to have broader support before going further.

Of course, we can discuss about the content of the tagging scheme. But that's irrelevant to my question about the organization of the wiki page.