[Tagging] tag templates in the wiki

Hufkratzer hufkratzer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 18:19:00 UTC 2019

On 13.08.2019 16:16, Paul Allen wrote:
 > [...] None of those are perfect, and maybe somebody can come up with
something better. [...]

My suggestion is that the bot only updates in one direction: values ​​of
wiki pages always take precedence and override corresponding fields in
the data elements. On the data element pages, these fields should either
be uneditable or at least marked somehow to warn everyone about the bot.

Reasons:
1. Get a complete history on the wiki pages. The history of the data
element pages is not very helpful because it is cluttered with bot edits
and does not contain many meaningful comments. There is a gadget written
by Yuri that you can use to add something to the auto-generated
changeset comments. However, it is still buggy and is used by only a few
people (see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:GadgetUsage).
2. Someone who wants to edit something that appears on a wiki page needs
to look at the entire page and see if this (intended) change is
compatible with the rest of the page. I'm assuming that then he will
often find out that he should have edited the wiki page anyway to
achieve this.