[Tagging] Gorges, Canyons, Ravines: natural=valley or new tag?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 15:16:00 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 14. Aug 2019, at 10:31, Michael Patrick <geodesy99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 5. For international features, the National Geospatial Agency GeoNames Search page ( http://geonames.nga.mil/namesgaz/ ) enables you to look up the classifications, and what they are called in the local language(s).Open up the Feature Designations section, and scan through the 'Hypsographic' listing, and you'll see CNYN/Canyon, searching on Mexico, it gives 1732 caƱada. You also get direct links to mapping services so you can look at the features.

why would you want to do this, if the common name has nothing to do with the formal definition of a feature type (your point 2)? This operation would only give you the expected results if there was a Mexican Spanish word of with an identical definition as the definition of an English word (which is often not the case, generally, with different languages).

Even without knowing the details I agree it is quite unlikely gorge, canyon and other similar words all have an identical meaning.

Cheers Martin