[Tagging] Document personal tags in Proposed_features/ space, User: space, or Tag:/Key: space?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 02:44:56 UTC 2019

On 15/08/19 12:18, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> [Posted to Talk + Tagging]:
>
> Currently the section "Non proposed features" in the OSM wiki page
> "Proposal_process" mentions that new tags should not be added to
> "Map_Features" without discussion. Some users also believe that new
> tags should not be documented under the feature wiki space with
> "Key:New_feature" or "Tag:key=value" pages, but should instead be
> documented in a User:username/ namespace or the Proposed_features/
> namespace.
>
> In contrast, the current text of the wiki page "Any tags you like
> suggests creating a new tag for bird nests (as an example) with
> Key:endangered_nest=Siberian_flying_squirrel - besides suggesting
> using non-standard capitalization in the value, this suggests creating
> a new Key: / Tag: page directly,

This has been the method for a very long time.

>   rather than using User:username/ or
> Proposed_features/.

This is a new method that some think is better.

> Is this a good idea?  Occasionally new wiki pages are created in these
> standard spaces for tags with only a few uses or no uses in the
> database.
>
> I would encourage mappers not to create new feature pages for tags
> which are not yet in use, or have only been used a handful of times by
> one mapper. Instead, it would be good to clarify that the
> Proposed_features/ namespace can be used even if the user has no
> interest in continuing the proposal process. I though that new feature
> pages should be created to document "in use" tags that have been used
> by more than a handful of different mappers in more than a handful of
> places.
>
> Thoughts?

Past practice has been to simple document what you have tagged as a new wiki page. Simple, easy and accessible by all. No matter how little used this is the accepted method and has neen in use for a long time.

Placing it as a proposal and then not proceeding with it sees it being down graded to 'abandoned'. These may be harder to find.

Placing it in User:username/
humm .. will that show up if I search for the key/value?

I am against depreciation the accepted and historic method of documenting new tags.
I would need convincing that the other methods are 'better'.
The ideal of forcing a proposal ... does not fly with me due to the probability of being cast as 'abandoned'.