[Tagging] How to distinguish public and private offices?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 03:30:52 UTC 2019

office=diplomatic was recently approved for consulates (and
embassies), which almost always provide public services.

Office=government is one that is most in need of more distinctions.

I suppose access=private isn’t wrong, but it seems incomplete: many
government offices do not legally exclude the public, but also do not
offer public services. For example, the offices of members of the
American legislature are clearly not public, but anyone in the public
can get an appointment to visit the legislator from their district.
Local government offices often allow walk-in visitors, but may not
offer any services.

Perhaps more types of government offices which provide public services
should have a specific amenity or shop tag, like the existing tags
amenity=town_hall,  amenity=courthouse, amenity=embassy,
amenity=register_office?

Or do we just need more sub-tags like government=ministry,
government=register_office and government=tax? There are many other
values that are not yet document, and many are not very clear.

I'd note that the proposal Proposed_features/Government_offices was
approved in 2015 (though with some objection), and switched from
amenity=register_office to government=register_office +
office=government, for a public-facing service office.

- Joseph