[Tagging] Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, route=hiking, route=foot and Walking routes

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 07:35:33 UTC 2019

On 15/08/19 17:00, Peter Elderson wrote:
> Where/to what exactly do you apply the role?

In the relation.

See https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1388126

Here the 'normal' members are simple ways with no role, these form the route itself.

Those that have a relationship role of 'alternate' in this instance are relations themselves but the could be more simple ways.
These form alternate routes to the main route.
They could be for any number of reasons - hight tides or flooded rivers.
In this case the Hornsby original goes through a firing range, Little Wobbly is a cheaper alternative to a private water taxi,
the other I am not certain of, possibly an 'access tack' from a train station - I would have to look.

Note I am not the author here of 'alternate', but I have done some work on the OSM route.

>>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walking_Routes
>>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dhiking

>>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Walking_Routes&type=revision&diff=1881156&oldid=1879580
>>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Aroute%3Dhiking&type=revision&diff=1878383&oldid=1853636