[Tagging] Where should

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 08:15:18 UTC 2019

On 15/08/19 16:50, Leif Rasmussen wrote:
> *Was Re: [Tagging] Definition of a Beach*
> /
> /
> /
> > that then clashes with OSM Coastline, which is taken as the High
> Tide mark/
>
> I was under the impression that the definition of the coastline was
> the average between high and low, not the high tide mark, based on
> what I had read on some wiki page.  I think that there must be
> conflicting guidelines on the wiki since I've noticed two conflicting
> mapping styles.
>
> What style do people think is better?  Is there an advantage to one
> over the other?

For a mapper gathering data it is much easier to estimate the high tide
mark - either from being there at hi tide or estimating it from wave
patterns and float-sum left behind. For low tide you'd have to get your
timing right.
If you want the middle then you need both hi and low - at least twice
the work. So for making the map data gathers job easiest - high tide
only please.

> Also, is there a good way to map the coastline as an area representing
> the low tide to high tide difference? Adding some tag like tidal=yes
> to areas representing that shape is the best I've found, but tidal=yes
> can also be used to mark that some water or marsh is tidal.

Sorry but I don't map low tide ... too many other things to map! Good
luck if you want to do that.