[Tagging] Definition of a Beach

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 11:55:30 UTC 2019

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 12:41, ael <witwall3 at disroot.org> wrote:

> I was going to comment that a beach has to meet the water at the same
> level. That is maybe sort of implied above? As opposed to a cliff or
> even wall.

With a cliff the high water and low water marks would be coincident, or
very nearly
so.  Unless there is at least enough space for somebody to stand between
high-
and low-water marks, it can't be a beach.

I am not sure that a beach is required to have a "significant" slope.
> Obviously it must have some non-zero slope, otherwise it will be covered
> by the water (to a first approximation). But on reflection, even that
> may not be true for some sections of a beach. Portions that may be
> exposed at low tide could even have a negative slope, and still be a
> (hazardous) beach.

I wouldn't say a slope is required, just that in the real world there will
be a slope.
The point I think was trying to be made is that the slope isn't vertical or
so steep
that it's difficult to walk on.  But I could be wrong.

--
Paul