[Tagging] Roles of route members (was: Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, ...)

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 22:20:41 UTC 2019

Software needs a sorted or easily sortable relation. Currently, no software can handle sorting when the routes get broken. Routes with forward and backward roles don’t sort properly either. Routes get broken very easily all the time.

Now the combine and sort routine waymarkedtrails uses when exporting routes actually does a fine job when e.g. a simple ordering problem is present. It fixes direction differences nicely. But if it encounters a more serious problem, it gives up and then all the simple things are not fixed either. So one wrong edit in Ireland can mess up the complete E2 over the entire length.

That’s why the only way to get reasonable outcome is to structure and sort the routes on the mapping level, then check and maintain all routes, all the time.

Actually, nested relation are much easier for mappers to handle and maintain than long single ones.

Roles in relations seem like a nice solution, but I don’t think it helps the sorting problem. Which in turn means no software can rely on Osm-route relations for other things than display.

I talk to many people about foot routes. I recommend waymarkedtrails, but when people want to use the gpx export I tell them to wait until I have checked and repaired the routes, or they will end up with a useless track that cannot be handled by a garmin or by OsmAnd.

Hardening against breaks? I would welcome that, but how? In Nederland, practically all ways are part of routes for walking, walking node connections, cycling, cycling node connections, PT. Not seldom I have to check and repair 10-15 route relations after one edit (most often a split of a way to allow a route to attach there) on the map. If we simply prevent an edit if it breaks a route, we will lose a lot of mappers who simply want to maintain the road network.

Mvg Peter Elderson