[Tagging] Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, route=hiking, route=foot and Walking routes

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 22:30:04 UTC 2019

On 15/08/19 22:58, Andy Townsend wrote:
> On 15/08/2019 10:56, Peter Elderson wrote:
>> ... So the lowest level always contains only ways, the higher level
>> contains only relations.
>
> Please don't make things more complicated than they need to be. Most
> hiking routes are just a single relation and are best left that way.

Agreed for simple routes of, say, < 300 members.
Where the route has well over 300 members it becomes easier to maintain
it if it is split up into smaller segments and then has a higher level
relation to combine them.

>> The ways in the main relation should form one continuous sorted
>> (sortable) route,
>
> No.  Don't assume that route ways are sorted in OSM as they usually
> aren't.
I have been sorting 'local' ones near me so they are processed correctly
by Way Marked Trails.

>> which data users can extract or link to for navigation or planner
>> software.
>
> Pretty much irrelevant.  As long as the data's there, software can
> figure it out.
>

>> Note that rendering routes is not that critical,
>
> This depends entirely on the use case.  As an example, it is for me.

And Way Market Trails and probably others.