[Tagging] Roles of route members (was: Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, ...)

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Aug 16 19:03:04 UTC 2019

Peter Elderson wrote:
> I think it's fair to say there is almost no software that does
> anything with route relations except rendering and exporting
> as a gpx.

That's not true. Most bike routers based on OSM are aware of route relations
and use them to influence routing.

> Software needs a sorted or easily sortable relation. Currently,
> no software can handle sorting when the routes get broken.

That's not true either. I have software right here that reorders unsorted
relations, as well as skeletonising dual carriageways into single lines,
jumping over roundabouts and coping with other such issues. I know of two
other sites operating similar software and I'm sure there are more.

There are certainly issues with consuming route relations but sorting is
not, in my pretty extensive experience, one of them.

Peter, perhaps you could clarify what your experience is in consuming OSM
data? Have you written code to do so? Do you run a website that uses OSM?

Richard
cycle.travel

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html