[Tagging] Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, route=hiking, route=foot and Walking routes

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 19:47:14 UTC 2019

If there is nothing to be found on the road, I think the route is not for
OSM.
If the route is "permanently" waymarked, even poorly waymarked but you can
see it on the road, it's ok. If a permanent and known route consists of
differently  waymarked routes it uses  those waymarks, so it's still
waymarked and can be recorded in OSM. I stress permanent and known, because
I want to exclude instant routes made by combining pieces of different
routes or made out of node network sections.
E-routes (European international routes for cycling and hiking) are
examples. They tend to use national/regional known trails; they have there
own waymarks but these are sparsely distributed and not intended to guide
you through every turn.
In less dense and less OSM-developed countries I would even map it if there
were say centrally placed plaques/boards/steles in a chain of towns and
cities, signifying that this is the .... trail. E.g. a st Jacob's pilgrim
camino from church to church, leaving the way in between to be determined
by pilgrim logic. I would choose a sort of routing profile: foot,
preferably unpaved, no sightseeing deviations, PT-stops are a plus so might
weigh up to a deviation.

Bt maybe that's stretching it too much.

Vr gr Peter Elderson