[Tagging] Roles of route members (was: Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, ...)

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Aug 17 08:11:17 UTC 2019

Peter Elderson wrote:
> I would like to see this software in operation! Could you give me the
> links of some applications

I use my code in the backend of cycle.travel. It's not open source. I've
seen code used by one other OSM-based site and there's a further one that's
clearly using something similar. There are at least two really obvious
strategies for dealing with relations like this.

> The point is, as it is it's not good enough for data use besides
> rendering. you can't rely on route relations for anything but rendering

Once again: pretty much every OSM-based bike router uses route relations to
influence routing. (That might give you a clue to one of the strategies.)

Again I ask: perhaps you could clarify what your experience is in consuming
OSM data? Have you written code to do so? Do you run a website that uses
OSM? Because you're making some very confident pronouncements about "you
can't fix that with software", "impossible", "a lot of work for data users",
"no software can handle <x>", "the only way to get reasonable outcome" etc.
etc. that don't accord at all with my experience. Yet you've been a mapper
for under two years and don't appear to have any software development to
your name at all. But I might be missing something.

Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html