[Tagging] Keys to which new values can be added without a proposal: craft=, shop=, building=, office=, sport=?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 11:52:37 UTC 2019

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:42, ael <witwall3 at disroot.org> wrote:

> I would be all in favour of introducing "business" as long as it was
> not restricted in that way. Easy with various values. It might
> gradually evole and get used properly and gradually outnumber the old
> misused office tag. Should not be too onerous for data consumers?

In theory, that sounds sensible.  However, some carto offerings may be
reluctant to render it.  Some editors may be reluctant to switch to it, and
maybe not even offer it as an alternative preset.  Unless you can get
buy-in here, and from editors, and from the more widely-used carto,
it's not going to go anywhere.

Yeah, I know, I'm being negative (again).  I'm also being realistic.  I
often
wish that the different divisions within OSM were better at joined-up
thinking, but the anarchic nature of OSM means that probably won't
happen.  I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the best
we can do here is try to avoid making new mistakes because we
can't fixed entrenched mistakes.

--
Paul