[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - protection_class=* (Words, not numeric codes)

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 19:21:40 UTC 2019

.As has already been discussed at some length in the thread on tagging
of State Parks in the US, I've been working on a proposal for a
'protection_class=*' key to replace 'protect_class=*'. It replaces the
seven numeric codes from IUCN (plus a zoo of codes that OSM appears to
have cut out of whole cloth) with 'protection_object=*', whose values
are drawn from a group of word-oriented codes that, it is hoped, will
be more mnemonic. (The proposal to describe State Parks as protected
areas was reasonably well received except for the issue that it
depended on the numeric 'protect_class=*' to describe the protection.)

The proposal has now reached a state where I think it can be opened
for a formal RFC, and can be found at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal:_Named_protection_class_for_protected_areas
.

Of course, I'll monitor both this list and the talk page for the Wiki
page for comments, and try to address whatever comes up.
--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin