[Tagging] Is crop=yes tag completely and utterly useless?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 01:42:42 UTC 2019

Cannot farm land can be used for crops for some time, and then milk
cattle for some other period of time?
IIRC that is what one of my relatives did.

On 18/08/19 11:20, Leif Rasmussen wrote:
> But isn't that the definition of farmland in OSM? I would map meadows,
> farmyards, and orchards with their respective tags, not with
> landuse=farmland.
> Leif R
>
> On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 7:18 PM Joseph Eisenberg
> <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Produce=crop would be worse, because “crop” is not a type of
>     produce, and produce= is only very rarely used for crop land (
>     crop= is the established key for types of crops like rice,
>     sugarcane, wheat, etc)

The rate of present usage does not limit the use of a tag.
colour=#93006B <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/colour=%2393006B>
is only used once in the data base ..
height=16 metres is only used once in the data base...

Crop is a produce.
produce=crop has 2 uses .. presently.
I have been mapping a small area where my family farmed for several
generations ... tomorrow there will be a lot more produce=crop.
If the judgement is simply on frequency of use the result may well be
wrong.

>     As I mentioned on the Talk:Key:crop page, I suspect that this tag
>     crop=yes is sometimes used to say “this area of farmland is used
>     as crop land”, that is, to grow row crops like
>     grains/sugarcane/other annuals. So at least we know it probably
>     isn’t a meadow or a farmyard or an orchard?

Vineyards have their own tag, should the tag crop=grapes be removed?