[Tagging] Keys to which new values can be added without a proposal: craft=, shop=, building=, office=, sport=?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 00:58:20 UTC 2019

On 19/08/19 10:20, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> This:
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-March/044160.html
> was the original discussion that I had been going to expand on, with
> the possibility of trade= for places like a plumber's workshop / shed
> etc.
>
> There was also discussion about craft= being more used for "one-off"
> hand-made handicrafts (wood turning, artists [as opposed to house
> painters] etc)
>
> What's the preference of trade= against business= plumbers,
> electricians, builders etc who don't work out of an "office"?

Where do they 'work from'???

Every plumber, electrician and builder I know are mobile, they work on
site. Smaller ones have an 'office' at home.
Here they form a legal 'business' and have a 'registered address' with
signage.
To satisfy the relation the sign is usually on the back door to avoid
the local council becoming concerned. As it is not public I would not
map them.

The larger firms of plumbers, electricians and builders have an office
.. so I'd tag them as offices - they sell a service so fit the OSM
description.

As regards 'business' tagging .. the keys amenity, office, shop all
contain businesses so generic tagging has been lost for business.