[Tagging] roads with many names

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 03:24:11 UTC 2019

F Street and 1st Street (usually written out as First Street, though
this depends on the local standards) are a common name, which goes in
the name field.

1st Street might also be part of County Road (CR) #312, which would be
ref=CR 312 or =CR312 or similar. The idea is that most people locally
would refer to their address as on "F Street" or "First Street" in
conversation, but the ref is still useful for navigation if it's
placed on signs in addition to the local name.

Some roads only have a name like (California) State Highway 99, which
is used by the locals as their house or business street address, so in
that case you can use both name=Highway 99 (or whatever the most
common signs and addresses say) in addition to ref=CA 99 or similar.