[Tagging] Keys to which new values can be added without a proposal: craft=, shop=, building=, office=, sport=?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 08:44:31 UTC 2019

On 19/08/19 18:21, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Interesting!
>
> I remembered a problem with "trade=*" - it's already been used almost
> 5000 times to specify the type of trade goods sold at a shop=trade -
> see https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/trade and
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dtrade

Not a 'good tag' as it can only be used with shop=trade.

Much better to have a universal shop tag that can be used with any shop.

The word that most people (non OSM) would use is 'sells'.

Some think OSM should use the word 'vending' as that is what is used for vending machines.

However I disagree, I would much rather have a word that is in common use rather than have a word that few would use in relation to a shop.

I have raised this before ... and got nowhere, so it looks to me like each shop will have it's own unique tag to describe what it supplies.
What a confusing mess that will be.