[Tagging] Signposts in Roles of route members

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 11:23:17 UTC 2019

On 19/08/19 18:50, Volker Schmidt wrote:

> Let me also introduce a further complication in the "sorting"
> discussion for hiking and cycling route relations.
> Some mappers like the idea to keep signposts in the same route
> relation as the ways making up the route. This strategy has been
> adopted in an important collaboration between the Italian Alpine Club
> (CAI) and OSM (in Italy represented by WIkimedia Italia).
> Unfortunately the corresponding wiki page
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CAI> is only available in Italian.
> I have done some minor work in that direction on one or two cycle
> route relations, where I was involved in placing the signposts and for
> that reason had direct access at the position data.

As these may be in any order???
Then group them together or not. Accept them in a separate relation if
wanted. And have them with a suitable role that users can ignore or use
as they like.
The same with any other POI like log books etc.

Those who like sequential order in the routes can then place them all at
the bottom and deal with the ways as they please.