[Tagging] Roles of route members (was: Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, ...)

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 18:04:54 UTC 2019

Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com>:

> On 19/08/2019 17:21, Peter Elderson wrote:
>
>  the only way for the likes of me is to use detection tools and
> maintenance tools to order data by hand at the mapping level, so ordinary
> people can use waymarkedtrails to get usable linear gpx-s for their
> basecamps, route editors, trip planners, navigation apps and devices.
>
> You keep perpetrating this myth - you're suggesting again that ways in
> routes need to be sorted before they can be used in Garmin software and
> navigation devices.  It simply isn't true.  For about 11 years now I've
> been creating Garmin maps based on OSM data, and I've been walking along
> local and national trails in the UK for far longer.  Never have I needed to
> "follow a GPX" - it seems a very alien thing to want to do, and (as
> mentioned previously) isn't actually supported by any of the various Garmin
> hiking GPSs that I've used.  If you want to do that - fine - but not
> everyone does.

Ok, I accept I just don't know how it's done. So how is that done? How do I
tell my Garmin to guide me along, say, the Limes trail through the
Netherlands? It's mapped in OSM as a series of sections, each relation
encompassing one days walking, and all the sections are in a parent route,
which in turn is part of the international Limes trail.