[Tagging] Was public_transport=platform intended to always be combined with highway=bus_stop?

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 07:58:29 UTC 2019

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 05:55, Michael Tsang <miklcct at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there is a need for public_transport=stop_position. Although 99.9% of
> the cases the bus stops directly at the platform, there are some edge cases
> where the bus does not stop at the platform due to practical reasons, i.e. the
> passengers need to board the bus on a service road not next to the platform.
> The platform serves as the waiting area, is also a real platform, and also
> marked by the route.
>
> The example platform is this: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4335709196
> There are routes 8A and 8P, 8A stops directly at the way next to it, while 8P
> is boarded outside that way because that way is parked by 8A buses yet to be
> departed.

Maybe highway=bus_stop could be placed where passengers board the bus?
Otherwise, we need a new relation (maybe type=stop_position?) to
connect the stop position to the waiting area, as the route relations
would only include one element (highway=bus_stop). Keeping the PTv2
route relations with platform and stop members just for these rare
cases doesn't make sense IMO.

Regards
Markus