[Tagging] bear box in campground ?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Aug 22 00:25:59 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 7:23 PM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a requirement to tag these 'animal resistant boxes'? Would a more
> universal tag be better?

I've generally heard these referred to as "bear boxes" regardless of the
species they're intended to guard against.  Granted, my exposure to such
facilities is limited and I am bear-biased.

> I am surprised raccoons are not a problem in northern America.

They are, but unlike bears (especially black bears), raccoons haven't
figured out how to open car doors from the outside yet.  Probably owing to
their rather short stature being unable to reach the door handle.