[Tagging] bear box in campground ?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 00:52:27 UTC 2019

On 22/08/19 10:25, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 7:23 PM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>
>     Is there a requirement to tag these 'animal resistant boxes'?
>     Would a more universal tag be better?
>

> I've generally heard these referred to as "bear boxes" regardless of
> the species they're intended to guard against.  Granted, my exposure
> to such facilities is limited and I am bear-biased.

American English? Fortunately the UK does not seem to suffer from this
issue, so there is no British English example we can use.

For someone who is not familiar with the term 'bear box' it may sound
like bears are stored in there.
"Food storage box" might be better?

>     I am surprised raccoons are not a problem in northern America.
>

> They are, but unlike bears (especially black bears), raccoons haven't
> figured out how to open car doors from the outside yet.  Probably
> owing to their rather short stature being unable to reach the door
> handle.

If they team together they can form a pyramid for the reach, only need
to figure out the handle then.
Can they do zippers? Raiding tents and backpacks then becomes possible.