[Tagging] Cash_withdrawal draft

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 14:47:52 UTC 2019

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 13:09, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> In British English the term used is Cashback.

I can confirm that.  I'm not sure, but I think it's only possible to get
cashback if you make
a purchase.  But that could just be a policy of some stores, or I could be
completely wrong
(I've never tried to get cashback without making a purchase).

Its never been something I have thought of tagging, just an option we
> assume to be available at supermarkets.

And convenience stores, such as Spar (my local Spar doesn't charge for
cashback but I'm
told other shops in the franchise do).

I don't think it would be sensible to tag nodes with the intention of
having them rendered
in some way, as in a large supermarket it would mean mapping every till.
Even my local
Spar has three tills, and it's not a big shop.  Probably best as a property
on the shop
itself.

Incidentally, I recall reading somewhere I cannot remember (and can
definitely not vouch
for the accuracy of the info) that cashback arose because banks charge a
fee on large(?)
shops depositing their takings, and that fee is a percentage of the size of
the deposit.
Various EPOS vendors decided they could give shops a cashback facility and
charge
a lower percentage of the transaction than the shop would pay a bank to
deposit it.  If
this is all true, the shops aren't doing you a favour, they're doing
themselves a favour
by giving you an incentive to use them, doing themselves a favour by
reducing the
fee they pay the bank, and triple-dipping if they charge you for cashback.

--
Paul