[Tagging] phone vs contact:phone WAS Re: Multiple tags for one purpose

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 14:55:23 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 25. Aug 2019, at 07:20, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Type 'phone' into the OSMwiki search box and you get redirected to the key 'phone=*'.
> This gets preferential treatment to the key 'contact:phone=*'.

seems fair that “key:phone” shows up first for a search for “phone”, it’s straightforward, and it’s also the most used tag for phone (numbers).

The contact prefix is pointless, why would we make everybody who doesn’t use presets type longer key names when there are no alternatives which would require to distinguish the tag from? People who do use presets don’t have to care for tag names anyway.

If you search for “contact phone” the first hit is key:contact, one could argue a better result would be showing key:phone first for this search term as well, as it is the mostly used tag for a generic phone number.

What about deprecating the contact: prefix, at least for phone? It doesn’t seem it will ever make it and is basically a deliberate tag fragmentation.

Cheers Martin