[Tagging] Parking spaces for car charging

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 21:20:19 UTC 2019

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 08:53, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 at 23:35, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> A bit messy, but how about
>> amenity=parking_space + access=vehicle_charging_only
>>

> Big problem right there: you're expanding on the access tag.  Some on this
> list will
> take great exception to that.  Some editors will take even greater
> exception to it as
> they populate drop-downs from the wiki, so when you map a road the access
> drop-down
> will include yes, no, private, vehicle_charging_only.  Which is why the
> parking_space
> proposal invented access:<role>.  And even that is pushing things, a
> little.

Yes, you're quite right there - I hadn't thought that side of access=
through

> car_charging=yes/no
>> truck_charging=yes/no
>> hgv_charging=yes/no
>>

> And this will re-open hostilities in a different argument about the
> undesirability of having all
> those different binary tags instead of charging=car|truck|hgv.  Or was it
> the other way
> around that was undesirable?  I forget now.

I "think" it was charging=car|truck|hgv arrangement that wasn't liked
because of semi-colons, but you're right - it could be the other way round!

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 21:56, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 01:37, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> amenity=charging _space? Says what it is.
>>

> First problem is that goes against the design of amenity=parking_space.
> Somebody
> will then decide to have amenity=disabled_parking_space rather than use the
> appropriate subtag with amenity=parking_space.

& then, in a few years as electric vehicles become more popular, you'll
have disabled, charging bays! (Which started as a joke but is actually
quite correct - charging bike racks, perhaps?)

Thanks

Graeme