[Tagging] landcover dune or land form dune

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 23:18:09 UTC 2019

On 26/08/19 21:27, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 04:52, Joseph Eisenberg
> <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     There seems to be confusion about what the key "landcover" means,
>     because recently there have also been pages created for
>     landcover=water and landcover=hedge as well.
>

> I'm in no way justifying any of the landcover=* tags that user has
> invented, but I can
> see from his edit comments why he invented landcover=hedge.  He either
> didn't read
> about, or did not like, barrier=hedge + area=yes so came up with
> landcover=hedge to
> use to represent that situation.  Whatever his reason, he seems rather
> detached from
> reality and insulates himself with a thick layer of Dunnnig-Kruger.
>
>     This also brings up the question: is it appropriate to edit pages like
>     this to mention the more common tags at the top, e.g. natural=dune,
>     natural=sand? Often other editors are unhappy when I add something
>     like "Consider using the more common tags natural=dune or
>     natural=sand" - but if anyone can create a Tag: or Key: page, it seems
>     important that similar and synonymous tags are mentioned at the top.

As this page presents the values as a table then possibly the alternate
tags can be a separate column in the table?
Should these alternative also be presented in a similar fashion on the
pages presented as alternatives?

> Even though it may trigger an edit war by this user like this one, go
> for it.

Think the user has gained some perspective..
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=760094#p760094

So removal of landcover=dune might 'succeed'.