[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting result - Pedestrian lane

Alessandro Sarretta alessandro.sarretta at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 00:30:36 UTC 2019

Thank you Markus for this summary.

I think that the issue of having a good way to describe marked lanes on
the road dedicated for people to walk is still there. In my opinion it
needs a more extensive discussion and some tagging and graphic examples
to show simple and complex application.

As an example, I'm thinking about detailed mapping for pedestrian (or
even people with disabilities) that might need additional information.
Information on width could help to understand if that footway is safe
for wheelchair, or colour could help visually impaired people (or even
smoothness values that can differ from the main road).

In an example with pedestrian lanes (or let's call them footway lanes,
or even sidewalk lanes, ...) on both sides of a two-ways road we could
have on the left side a 1m-wide lane, on the right side a red lane.

How should we map them?

pedestrian_lane=both
pedestrian_lane:left:width=1 m
pedestrian_lane:right:colour=red

or something like

footway=lane
footway:left:width=1 m
footway:right:colour=red

And in case on the left we have a shared cycle/foot lane?

cycleway:left=lane
pedestrian_lane=left
segregated=no

or

cycleway:left=lane
footway:left=lane
segregated=no

I think discussing of specific examples could help us clarifying which
solution is better (or more usable).

m2c

Ale