[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - park_drive

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 08:33:15 UTC 2019

On 05/12/19 21:08, Martin Scholtes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to inform you that I have made a suggestion about park and
> drive. This resulted from a discussion in the OSM DE Telegram Chat.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/park_drive
> Definition: Information that can be taken on this parking lot to form a
> carpool.
>
> I would be pleased about suggestions.
>
> Forgive me, but this is my first time on that list.

Welcome!
Do not take any suggestions as personal attacks but as ideas on improving the tag.

In Australia this is called 'car pooling'.

As I understand it the tag is for people to park there car in one area and leave it there while going to a common car to continue their journeys.

To me this is 'parking'. If the parking spaces is designated for 'car pooling' then an access tag could be used.  For example 'access=car_pool'?

Detailed in the proposal there is;

park_drive=no for parking of customers only or private.
These should already be tagged with an access tag to say this .. so it is redundant?

park_drive=yes where car pool parking is ok.
In my country this is the default. Unless there is some time limit (and that limit would apply to all) then it is ok to park there for any reason. The time limit should be indicated by some other tag .. so this is redundant?

park_drive=informal for car pool parking that is neither allowed nor forbidden??? No. It cannot be both 'not allowed' and 'not forbidden'.

park_drive=designated for car pool parking only?? Then it is an access tag like access=customers.