[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - footway=link

Allroads allroadsworld at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 20:53:47 UTC 2019

Markus example:
> Let's use a nearby example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/86205950.

It does not matter if the stairs are parallel or not!

Draw this image over the example, JOSM changes (not uploaded) drawn in.
https://i.postimg.cc/t70p6WXm/Neubr-ckcrossing.png
The area:highway=footway is correctly drawn in, but the footway is all
footway=sidewalk, your still walking on the sidewalk.

In a area we draw lines like this highway=pedestrain area:yes example,
area=yes should give area routing.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/1/19/Line_area_connection-EN.png
This image comes from this site:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Guidelines_for_pedestrian_navigation

Only way lines inside a area:highway=*, which have "not" equivalent value,
should get the value, *=connection or link. Nothing else. We need this tag
only from kerb to middle wayline carriageway, and can be used for
pedestrian, footway, path, cycleway if there is the need to use it.
*=crossing value is cleary defined, *=connection must be the equivalent of
*=crossing, at T connection on carriageways. This must also be clear
defined!

(We do not draw a crossing further then the kerb of the road, so not as far
as the middle line of the sidewalk)!!

Other perpendicular waylines inside a area:highway does not need that, if so
then a other kind of value (I do not see the need for that)
Be aware that some people think that at a wide sidewalk, also a polygon,
highway=footway footway=sidewalk area=yes, can be used just like the
pedestran example ( a polygon and a wayline drwans in for pedestrian.)
When you are on a sidewalk, it feels  you are on a sidewalk, then it called
a sidewalk.

I use my own style, far from complete, just working on sidewalk and crossing
tags visualisation. I just missed a quick hint what is tagged.

Where do you need it, I think where kerbs are it is more important, and when
you use area:highway, *=connection we could render visualise it slightly
different.
https://i.postimg.cc/D0n5S70G/tpath.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/J41D2GSJ/pedestriansquare.jpg
> [6]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/416303537

Like now, in Carto a polygon is rendered above the wayline, the example is
area=yes pedestrian visualisation.

Nick Bolten examples:
Shelter crossing
https://i.postimg.cc/bJQpcL1Y/sheltercrossing.jpg
In front of the shelter (left) (busstop?) could a highway=platfrom be used
as a tag.
I never draw a line over a shelter. right of the shelter middle of the way
the wayline.

Steps building
https://i.postimg.cc/WzfPvyYZ/areafootway.jpg
steps, perpendicular footway to steps is footway=sidewalk, when you could
draw the polygon area:highway=footway footway=sidewalk, this is inside the
polygon, equivalent value. So =sidewalk.

Allroads.