[Tagging] Route node roles - was Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - hiking_trail_relation_roles

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Mon Dec 9 03:52:57 UTC 2019

On 12/8/2019 6:44 PM, Peter Elderson wrote:

> Could you envision a node passed by two hikes, and being a checkpoint
> for the one and nothing special for the other?

Camino de Santiago ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/153968 )
comes to mind. Hikers doing the whole route carry passports that are
stamped at checkpoints along the way, to document completion of the
route. Hikers not attempting to complete the whole route probably
wouldn't have the passport and wouldn't bother with the checkpoints.

And certainly some of the portions of the Camino de Santiago are also
parts of other routes, eg the sub-sub relation
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3523300 is part of the Camino de
Santiago ( via https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/138227 ), and is
also part of the European long-distance hiking route E3 -- which as far
as I know doesn't feature a checkpoint system.

Jason