[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Leisure=Skatepark

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 22:33:00 UTC 2019

On 10/12/19 05:09, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 17:31, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org
> <mailto:t.pfeifer at computer.org>> wrote:
>

>     I'd prefer to keep it leisure=pitch, avoiding top-level tag
>     fragmentation. Refinements about the
>     sport definition can appear in the sport=* subtagging.
>

> I can understand that viewpoint.  I'm not sure that there is any
> technical merit, in terms of db
> queries, to it, other than making life easier for somebody who wants
> to find all types of sporting
> activity in a given area.  Where it does cause problems is for people
> using the query tool (or
> equivalent in things like maps.me <http://maps.me>) being confused by
> tennis pitches, shooting pitches, and
> the like.  It's far from the only tagging infelicity we have, and
> we'll never be able to fix it because
> of existing usage, but I see no reason to extend the confusion.

leisure=pitch has never sat well with many sports;
table tennis .. a pitch?
chess .. a pitch?
cricket.. the pitch is the bit in the middle .. not the playing area
which is a 'field'...

leisure=sports_field might be better than pitch?

As for searching for sports .. some sports are leisure=track, some
highway=raceway, some landuse=recreation_ground ...  best top search on
sport=*?