[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - footway=link

Allroads allroadsworld at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 14:17:40 UTC 2019

>Why should we need to tag the part of the path inside road area
>specifically (e.g. as footway=connection), but not the part of the
>track inside the road area?
(e.g. as path=connection)

Yes, why, that I asked myself too! Why, use it everywhere. It could be used
everywhere.

That is why we discuss it here, to figure out, what is necessary or not and
where.

The original question for me was, what to use as a equivalent for a
*=crossing, that is a T connection.
>From kerb to middle wayline.

In other cases, is there the need to use it also?

Openstreetmap, is always to find a balance, where to tag something or not.
Not every tag have to be set everywhere, sometimes it is so obvious, in some
cases it is useful, tagger decide where.
I work as a volunteer tagging for a project "traveling independently" for
people with an intellectual disability, people with a brain injury, people
with a psychiatric disorder or seniors. "Learned early, gives confidence,
gives independence".
On their daily traveling, now there picked up by a privat (taxi) bus from
home and bring to the accommodation, they often go to. This cost also a lot
of money. Parents does not have they time often.

Discussion.
At kerb, what (voice) note, "step on the road" "step on the footway" both
side of the kerb is a highway=footway. Which direction, which call.
footway=connection is a option.

Comparing with, at the area:highway=* inside the polygon, can I draw the
conclusion, that we must split, not going for one value, because it's
different in behavior, because, the carriageway and the sidepath, there is a
hierarchy, how we look at them, use them.
Cycleway and sidepath, also a hierarchy between them.

Outside of the box: (mind triggering)
We do not tag in a polygon area:highway=unclassified, the part inside the
polygon, highway=track track=crossing crossing=unmarked.
This is what I mean find the balance of using a value, where it is more
appropriate, our decision have something to do with how we feel about the
hierarchy.

Allroads