[Tagging] Feature proposal - Voting - Telecom distribution point

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 15:27:28 UTC 2019

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for long time to answeryour questions,

Le mar. 10 déc. 2019 à 19:58, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Do you consider British Telecom DACS units to be a part of this?  They're
> old technology and I
> wouldn't expect new deployment as they're incompatible with ADSL but there
> may well be
> a lot of old installs still around.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_access_carrier_system

We also have those in France (called PCM).

They're only covered by the proposal if those "boxes" are the first you
encounter along the line starting from home.
If not, they are often included in a connection_point.

Facts are you may independently have multiplexers in distribution points or
connection points. It's only about their capacity and position in the
network.

Neverthess there is no tag currently to state the point is a dacs or not.
I may think about it later.

Le mar. 10 déc. 2019 à 23:06, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com> a
écrit :

> Yeah, vote is a good way to trigger comments.
>
> Certainly frustrating but hopefully it will
> result in a better tag and/or documentation.

No problem
Indeed it's a good occasion to improve and add points I didn't see neither.

Le mar. 10 déc. 2019 à 23:08, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> In a lot of areas around here, all infrastructure is underground, so our
> lead-in cable (now an internet connection only) runs from a box on the
> outside wall of the house, under our front yard to a pit on the footpath,
> then to a bigger pit further down the road, & onwards from there.
>
> Should these pits be mapped under this scheme?

You may have a look to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:telecom%3Dconnection_point  if the
pits you talk about are located further in the network toward central
office.
Distribution points don't have patch panel to change subscribers from one
line to another. It's only local and direct connection to a bigger cable
(with less than 15 homes connected)
A connection point can handle a hundred of subscribers usually.

Be sure this precision will be added to improve documentation of
connection_point too.

Le mar. 10 déc. 2019 à 23:58, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I'm certainly not mapping them.
> Mainly because I don't know what these 'distribution points' really are.

Let's improve the example chapter with any situation you may see on ground
to disambiguate them.

All the best

François