[Tagging] Business names in capital letters

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 22:15:10 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 14. Dec 2019, at 21:30, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
>
> I would favor adding the name exactly as it appears in a sign, even including punctuation marks if it's in their sign. For example AT&T. AT&T at one time was an abbreviation for American Telephone & Telegraph but they dropped the full name for AT&T sometime back. It technically isn't an acronym anymore.  TCBY (The Countries Best Yogurt) is a yogurt shop that is widely recognized in the US. If you wrote Tcyb, I doubt most people would even recognize it.

I agree, there are some more  examples like IBM and BP. The capitalization of the _name_ should be like it is used (and likely registered). I also agree with Frederik though, if we feel the orthography of their name is particularly designed to game lists or maps, like “the BEST foo” we can individually make exceptions and must not slavishly adhere to their marketing.

Cheers Martin