[Tagging] Public WLAN boxes

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Dec 18 15:47:15 UTC 2019

On 18.12.2019 16:26, Andy Townsend wrote:
> On 18/12/2019 15:22, Tod Fitch wrote:
>> In the U.S. it would be called wifi or wi-fi rather than wlan. Anyone know what the British 
>> English is?
> In the UK it's also "wifi" or "wi-fi", but wlan is understood and has considerable establishment in 
> OSM:

Wi-Fi vs WLAN is not AmE vs BrE,
WLAN is the technical term, standing for Wireless Local Area Network.
It is standardised in the IEEE 802.11 series, using "Wireless LAN" in the title.
Wi-Fi is a brand name, introduced by the Wi-Fi Alliance.

OSM should therefore continue to focus on the standardised, generic term WLAN.

On 18.12.2019 11:20, Cascafico Giovanni wrote:
 > My tagging would be:
 > man_made=antenna

The 'box' would contain a full access point and not just the antenna, thus I'd prefer not to tag the 
antenna alone.


More information about the Tagging mailing list