[Tagging] eelgrass

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 01:12:34 UTC 2019

Well you were right, Kenny points out that there are fresh water
aquatic beds of "grasses", "mosses" and kelp and algae in the next
email.

But we have different tags for saltmarsh and marsh, so I think it is
good to have natural=seagrass or wetland=seagrass in addition to some
other tags for fresh-water underwater plants like these freshwater
"eelgrasses" (different family)
https://treasurecoastnatives.wordpress.com/category/vallisneria/
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-Vallisneria-nana-bed-with-continuous-cover-meadow-Swathes-grazed-by-pig-nosed_fig7_233410033
https://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/534107

Personally, I won't be trying to map the extent of these underwater
aquatic beds myself, it's enough to tag natural=water for lakes and
waterway=riverbank for river areas, plus the various wetland tags for
areas where the vegetation is above the water level. The presence of
underwater vegetation, like the surface of the riverbed/lakebed, are
much harder to verify and correctly map in most places, unless you
have very clear water and good aerial imagery at the right time of
day.

Joseph