[Tagging] [Talk-us] Trunk VS primary,

Jarek Piórkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Sat Dec 21 01:47:01 UTC 2019

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 at 20:26, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>> > I'm not arguing in favor of a change in language for key name.  But the local broadly accepted classification terminology (preferably in English for consistency sake) for the value.
>>
>> Why in English? Bundesstraße is a broadly accepted classification
>> terminology, so is autostrada. If you want to do things for
>> consistency sake, there are the accepted OSM-British-English names.
>

> What I'm saying is highway=bundesstraße could be acceptable, but straße=bundestraße wouldn't be.  Mostly so way type objects with highway=*  are still potentially routable.

How do you propose these "potential routable" fallback routers to
handle highway=Bürgersteig (a sidewalk) vs highway=Fahrradstraße (a
local street where bicycles have priority)? How will a router know
which highways can be used by trucks, buses, pedestrians, other than
with a giant lookup table? And if you do have a giant lookup table,
wouldn't be easier to have it in editors rather than in every single
data consumer?

--Jarek