[Tagging] [Talk-us] Trunk VS primary

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 11:56:23 UTC 2019

On 21/12/2019 11:40, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

> 21 Dec 2019, 12:00 by wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org:
>
>     I suggest to keep the road classification consistent at least within
>     a country and try to solve the problem of roads in low-zoom maps at
>     the rendering level, by modifying the list of displayed road classes
>     until a target density of displayed roads is reached. That might
>     become easier to do when we move to vector tiles.
>
> Seems not doable with OSM data - this
> would require far more road classes
> than we use.
>
> lane and surface data is also almost
> certainly not helpful here even with full
> coverage

Renderers can certainly use tags other than "highway" when deciding what
road class to render things as (I do that in a couple places in maps for
UK/IE but not for trunk/primary, but if I was creating maps for the US I
suspect I'd definitely try and use other tags along with the highway tag
to influence road class at motorway/trunk/primary as well).

Specifically, if a tertiary is particular narrow it gets rendered as
unclassified, and if an unclassified or residential is a gravel track it
gets rendered as a track with public access. Specifically:

https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L928

https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L421

The "invented highway tags" set there are then used by

https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/openstreetmap-carto-AJT/blob/master/roads.mss

Best Regards,

Andy