[Tagging] Public WLAN boxes

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 20:50:19 UTC 2019

I probably wouldn't add the antenna tags either, unless it is visible
and useful for navigational purposes. If possible, please add the
network name as well, something like this:

operator=Comune di Cividale del Friuli
internet_access=wlan
internet_access:ssid=FVGWiFi

This is a bit sketchy question, as without additional tags, people
could mistake these for real open hotspots that are open to tourists
as well:

"Places where internet access is only for members or private persons,
and not offered to the general public. This includes your personal
home DSL, LAN, WLAN, any internal networks of companies, and internet
access only for students (e.g., WLAN hotspots on the campus), because
these are not open to the general public."

Although, I think we can rightly map these because it does good
service to the local community, but we should somehow differentiate
it. Maybe like so?

fee=no @ register with an Italian phone number
description=Registration through a live Internet connection and giving
an Italian phone number is required

I've seen other hotspots that also need registrations, but which allow
you to register on site via their walled garden (or endorsing the
operator on social media, etc.). This one is different, because I
think you need to prepare well in advance before going out on the
streets. Maybe we should invent some new tags for this. I found
internet_access:registration=* not specific enough. Maybe
internet_access:registration=in_advance/on_site/no?

Furthermore, linking to information regarding how you can freely
register may prove useful (although viewing that needs an Internet
connection as well..), like:
contact:website=http://www.regione.fvg.it/rafvg/cms/RAFVG/infrastrutture-lavori-pubblici/telecomunicazioni/FOGLIA5/
(Or would operator:website be more appropriate?)

Someone has been attempting to use amenity=internet_access,
amenity=wifi (sic!) or service=internet_access as a primary tag, but
it is not established yet - internet_access=* usually comes second to
some other primary tag (like leisure=park, amenity=bench,
amenity=cafe, highway=footway, etc) indicating what kind of function
the access point is attached to (roughly the scope of operation or
"range", although we are not allowed to map the exact range itself).

Finally, could you by any chance get in contact with the operator and
ask if we could import the data behind their access point map?

Thanks for the great efforts - if we could find answers to the above,
we'll be able to map a lot of similar networks in the future.