[Tagging] Tag for "tax free shopping"

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 31 22:36:42 UTC 2019

On 2019-12-31 23:04, Hauke Stieler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> that's true, the EU is one special case here. But would the status of a
> traveler influence the tagging schema of "duty_free=*" in your opinion?

The EU is only a special case because there are multiple countries
within a single customs area for these purposes. Many airports
accommodate both domestic and international passengers in mixed areas.
The only other way I can see duty free shops working us if domestic
passengers were actually banned from making purchases. This used to be
the case within the EU, at some airports at least.

In terms of tagging, the scenario described could be something like
duty_free=export - meaning YES if you are exporting it beyond the
customs union area (~~EU), otherwise NO.