[Tagging] weight limit in short tons

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 00:28:46 UTC 2019

I wonder whether we are arguing hypotheticals here.

Is there still highway signage, anywhere, with weight limits in long
tons? I don't know, but I'd have imagined that the UK would have gone
to metric signs a long time ago. (I imagine that there are still
historic bridges with the old placards on them - but that's like
coding '5 shillings fine for driving a waggon across this bridge at a
pace faster than a walk' on the old placard.)

I've traveled the US fairly extensively, and I've never seen a traffic
sign in cwt. (Or indeed, anything else, although I understand that
it's still a unit in wholesale commerce of some goods.) Instead of
saying '30 cwt', a load sign here would say '1.5 tons' or '1½ tons' or
'3000 lbs'.